While in the hospital, we tried out several names on our little man. I didn't feel happy with any, but time was running out and I felt pressure from nurses to get a name on those many important documents before leaving. I was so tired- tired from not sleeping, and tired of talking about names. So, although it was SO unlike me, I left the decision entirely up to Mark. I felt like, as the Patriarch of our family, I should trust his call on this one.
At the last possible second in the hospital, "Baby Boy Walker" became Grant Cory Walker. I struggled for several days to call him by name, and even considered looking into the process of a name change. Once again, Mark humored me in researching different names for our new baby boy, who was now with us, but I could sense the whole time that he was set on his decision.
I worried myself sick over what to do. I cried myself to sleep. And then...I can't tell you what changed in me, but I had a calming feeling that I would no longer need to worry about changing his name. All of a sudden, the stress and worry was gone and he was Grant. And that was that. To be honest, until writing this post, I hadn't thought another thing about my baby having the wrong name.
On Sunday, Grant was blessed, and his name became official. Mark gave a beautiful blessing. In it, he blessed Grant to be able to feel the love our Father in Heaven has for him, and to be able to share that love with others. He blessed him that he might be quick to observe. And he blessed Grant to be patient, as Heavenly Father's will unfolds for him.
We had several family members with us for this day, and felt so blessed to be surrounded by so many good people and to have felt so much love.
Christian wanted so badly to be included with all of the men and even said,
"When I get a little bigger, I will bless Grant."
After the chaos of the day, as Mark and I laid down to rest, Mark said to me, "Did my blessing seem like I thought Grant would have a bunch of trials?" It was interesting that he would ask this, because as I listened to the blessing earlier that day, those were my exact thoughts. It even scared me a little. But, the more I think about it, and as much as it hurts my heart to think that my children will experience heartache and difficulty, the more grateful I am, that their father is in-tune enough to bless them with the strength and patience to endure when those times come, because they will. I feel peace knowing that my boys have been blessed with those qualities and attributes, come what may.I also feel confident in knowing that Grant has wonderful examples of strength and endurance in the men that surrounded him in the blessing circle. What a faithful group of men, who love my boys, and will be there for them when things do get tough. My dad, and Grant's namesake in particular. I pray that one day Grant will understand the significance of his middle name, and live up to it. My dad is one of the very best men that I know, who has conquered trials of his own, and been a beautiful example of the kind of person I want my boys to become. I am so grateful that Grant carries a small part of his grandfather with him.
Now, I can't imagine my baby G as anything other than Grant. His name fits. We feel so blessed to have his sweet spirit in our home. We love you Grant Cory Walker!
Happy Blessing Day!











No comments:
Post a Comment