If you would have told us six months ago that we would be going back to school, we (especially Mark) would tell you that you were crazy. Six months ago, Christian was getting ready to turn two, and we were getting ready for baby number two and we were looking for a change. I'm sure from the outside looking in, people probably thought we were going through some sort of identity crisis (now looking back, I think you could definitely call it that). We couldn't quite put our finger on what needed to change in our lives, but we sure did one heck of a job trying to figure it out... We looked at house after house, thinking maybe we needed a change in location. We even put an offer on a house, which was accepted...then fell through. Confirmation #1: Not time to move. Mark applied for a couple of new jobs, none of which seemed to be the right fit, or the right timing. Confirmation #2: Not time to get a new job. I remember looking up the process for MBA applications for several schools, strictly out of curiosity, only to find that the deadlines had passed. I thought that's when I received Confirmation #3: Not time to go back to school...I couldn't have been more wrong.
In late April, I was impressed to actually call BYU for their MBA application deadlines. Still, at this point, Mark hadn't given going back to school more than an ounce of thought. In talking with the admissions office, I found that the very last (and I mean last of the last) applications were being accepted until May 1st. This meant that there was approximately two weeks for me to convince Mark that we should give this a shot. Also in that two weeks, Mark would have to study for and take the GMAT, do well on the GMAT, write essays, get letters of recommendation, schedule an ecclesiastical endorsement interview, sharpen his resume, complete the application, and all the while be preparing for a brand new baby and a two year old's birthday party. (Imagine me trying to persuade him of all of this while he is buried up to his eyeballs with work too.) Oh, and I forgot to mention, that Mark's work experience was less than most accepted MBA students.
Needless to say, we were fighting an uphill battle. It seemed very impossible and very unlikely. Surprisingly however, Mark was up for the challenge. Mark spent the next few days studying for the GMAT (I think he got mabye three days of studying in), and I spent those days on the phone with the admissions office. We made a pretty good team, and Mark handled my nagging, and obnoxiously high level of anxiety beautifully.
On the last possible day, Mark hit the "submit" button that sent his application for review. We were so relieved, but not as hopeful as we would have liked to be. The odds weren't in our favor with Mark's work experience, and being such a late applicant. But, we told ourselves that no matter what happened, the process was a good learning experience, and would help us be prepared for the next time we applied. Then, the waiting game began.
When the e-mail came inviting Mark for an interview, we were ecstatic. But, when we found out it would be only a few days after Grant was born, we were a little nervous. Mark needed to pretty much get his whole life figured out before the interview, and right at the point when our life couldn't have been less figured out as we were transitioning with this new baby. Mark went into the interview pretty unsure, and came out pretty positive that we would NOT be getting into the program.
Once again, we reminded ourselves that all of this would just be a good experience in the end. Then, the next e-mail came. Another interview. Looking back, it's amazing how these little glimpses of hope kept us going through the whole process.
This time, Mark went into the interview more confident, and more sure of his direction (and with a little more sleep than the last time). The interview went much better, but then we were back to waiting. By this time, I think my stress and anxiety levels were dangerously high and unhealthy.
FINALLY, Mark received an acceptance letter to the MBA program at BYU. I hate to say that I was surprised, because Mark is so incredibly smart and talented, but if you will remember the circumstances listed above, it was pretty much a miracle. I can't help but think that there was definitely some divine intervention.
Since the start of school a few weeks ago, our world has been an constant whirlwind. Busy would be an understatement, but we are so happy. We have already had so many neat opportunities and rubbed shoulders with some amazing people. Our prayers for direction have been answered. and for the first time in a long time we feel like we are headed down the right path. Our destination is still uncertain, but we are on the path. That has been made clear by the many ways we have been blessed through the times that have seemed nearly impossible. Even during the times when Mark feels there are not enough hours in the day to accomplish everything, and I feel that the days are just too long to handle without him, somehow it all works out. We are learning a lot about ourselves and each other; what our strengths are and what we are capable of. In these few short weeks we have already learned so much.
I think sometimes it is easy to wish away the time that it takes to get to our destination because it is busy, and hard, and a lot of work, but I have been so grateful that the journey so far has been such a rewarding experience for us. We are experiencing a whole new kind of joy and fulfillment in our lives. We are excited to see what the future holds for our family!

No comments:
Post a Comment