January 11, 2014

God Bless Texas

In my family there are three girls, and one boy. Just one brother. This week, we sent that one brother on his mission, and I don't think anyone could have prepared us for how difficult it would be. Being the only boy, Tom has always had a special place in all of his sisters' hearts. He's also been the annoyer, the teaser, and the gross one (cause he's a boy). And we are sure missing all of that.
In the last year, as Thomas' mission has approached, I've thought to myself several times, "Man, this is awful, and hard, and it hurts to see him leave, I'm so glad I only have to do this once." And then, I remember that I have two boys (so far) and that it's only going to get worse from here. We won't get into that now, just to keep my computer safe from the flood of tears that will surely come, and my heart from breaking.
The fact is, it is awful, and hard, and painful...and beautiful, and exciting, and we're so proud all at the same time. I've always known the love my family has for each other, but it has been so inspiring to see that love fueled in these last few months. To see the support, and the strength, and the unity. I am so incredibly blessed. I think this is a time I will remember forever.
 
 
 
As a mother of boys, there are absolutely no words to express my appreciation for Thomas' example to my sons. Thomas is the only thing they know about a mission right now and he is already having an impact. I am so thankful that my boys have such a wonderful role model to look to, that is reinforcing what we are trying so hard to instill in them. They are so lucky to have uncle Tom!
 We sure love and miss Elder Hafen!
 God bless Texas!

1 comment:

Hafendad said...

I thought I was finished with the tears, but this got me going again. Oh well, all happy thoughts. Thanks Sis