November 7, 2011

An Attitude of Gratitude

A few months ago I started a gratitude journal. The goal of the journal was to help me be more observant of the many blessings and tender mercies I experience on a daily basis. Although the journal-writing only lasted a short time, I found that it is was so easy to find things to be thankful for when I was actually looking for them. I also found that I was a lot happier when I was looking for the good things in my life, rather than something to complain about. As I go back and read my journal I am able to not only remember, but appreciate my many blessings. Here are a couple of my favorite entries:

July 24, 2011
Today I am grateful for a baby who feels safe in my arms. What a tremendous responsibility it is to be trusted so completely by such a precious and innocent spirit, yet what a beautiful privilege it is. Tonight I held Christian as Pioneer Day fireworks boomed outside. The loud noises occasionally startled me, yet Christian slept peacefully in my arms. His stillness made me realize that he felt safe and secure. He trusted that I would protect him. I am humbled to be this perfect child's protector, and grateful today that Heavenly Father has trusted me enough to do so. The title of "mother" is often overwhelming, but it is comforting to know that Christian, as small as he is, and as much as he has to learn, trusts me as his mother. Sometimes I wonder how I got so lucky to be the one that this sweet boy relies on. I am so blessed. I pray that I might always be worthy of his trust.

July 26, 2011
Today I am grateful for Christian's big blue eyes and his heart-melting smile. We spent the day at home today, so Christian and I had plenty of time to gaze into each others eyes and "goo" and "gaa" at each other. There is something about my baby that makes my world a happier place. I find myself doing or saying the same silly things over and over just to see his contagious grin. I could watch him for hours- especially when he looks at his dad. It isn't rare to catch Christian just staring at Mark, watching his every move and being perfectly content as long as he can see his dad. the best part is that most of the time, Mark doesn't even know he is being admired. Of course, I'm Christian's mom and I find it easy to fall in love with his every move, but I feel so blessed
to be the one that gets to wake up to his enormous, toothless smile, and spend the evening watching his gigantic eyes slowly give in to peaceful sleep.

Lately I have found myself using the phrase "We're so lucky." But I've recently realized that luck has nothing to do with it. We're not lucky, we're blessed. With Thanksgiving approaching, I thought it would be a good time to continue my gratitude journal, but this time, on my blog. I would feel very ungrateful if I did not acknowledge the many things, moments, and opportunities our family has been blessed with.

1 comment:

DebWalker said...

Wow. I am so impressed! What an awesome blog. I better catch up too. I love seeing my kids blog all the fun and exciting things going on in their lives. Thanks :-)