Having experienced the frustration of going overdue twice now, and then experiencing two totally different, yet equally as beautiful births, I am fully convinced that babies come when and how they are supposed to, and that it is divinely inspired.
I was due with Grant on May 22, however as that date approached, my doctor didn't give us much hope that he would arrive on time, or that he would even come on his own at all. I was hopeful my whole pregnancy that I would be able to deliver regularly, but when my due date came and went, those hopes were significantly decreased and I started preparing mentally and emotionally for another C-section. I was so sure that I would be having a C-section, that I had my hospital bag all packed and loaded in the car, and Christian taken care of when we went for our non-stress test on my due date. Surprisingly however, my test looked perfect, and I found myself leaving the test, still 100% pregnant. I'll admit, as I waddled away from the hospital, I was a little disappointed that we weren't just going to get that baby out, even if it was via C-section. The whole rest of that day was spent unsure of what to do with myself, and it was completely unproductive. I was totally discouraged.
Most of the next day went pretty similarly, until I woke up from my daily nap to a text from my friend, Katie. She asked if I was home and if she could bring something over. I quickly got out of bed and tried to make myself presentable...little did I know I would be answering the door, totally un-presentable, as my water broke just minutes before she knocked! Needless to say, I was shocked! While answering the door, and explaining the situation to her, was a little bit awkward, it ended up being a tender mercy that she was there. Katie was so helpful with Christian, helping me get him, and my house ready for us to head to the hospital. I called Mark at work, and within a few minutes we were on our way, arriving at the hospital around 4:30 pm.
At the hospital, my mom picked Christian up (I couldn't help but be emotional at the thought of him leaving), and we got settled in. My nurse, told me that usually when women think their water broke, it really didn't. I was so worried that I would be embarrassed, only thinking that my water broke, and that they would send me home. But when I was checked, it turned out I was right! My water DID break! Ha! They couldn't send me home now, I was staying!
After a few hours of contractions,visits from family, and a beautiful blessing from Mark, I was ready for my epidural. Baby's heart rate was dropping a bit (the reason for my C-section with Christian) so I was on oxygen when C came to visit at about 9:30 pm. I was worried he would be afraid of me and my attractive mask, but he warmed up quickly, and was fascinated with my mask, and the whole delivery room. My visit with Christian was a little surreal, knowing that it was likely that the next time I saw him, he would be a big brother, and me, a mother of two.
It didn't seem too long after Christian left with my parents that I was being prepared for delivery. Things were looking good for a VBAC, until the doctor announced that Grant was posterior. Several times during labor, Dr. Nance warned us that a C-section may be necessary due to the baby's position. There were even a couple of times when he said, "we'll try one more time", which made me sure I would be headed to the operating room again. (In my exhausted state, I even thought that might be the best option a few times). During my almost two hours of pushing, I kept thinking " great, if it's not one reason for a C-section, it's another."
I'm not sure if it was my determination, or Grant's, but I think it was probably a pretty good combined effort, and soon, I knew he was coming. I could sense the excitement from the nurse, the doctor, and of course Mark. I'll never forget the look on Mark's face as he looked at our baby, and then at me and then back to our sweet baby. His excitement and encouragement gave me that last ounce of strength I needed to bring Grant into the world. I know I couldn't have done it without him. He's a pretty darn good cheerleader.
The cord was wrapped around Grant's neck, so the doctor made the first cut, but I was so glad that Mark got the chance to cut the cord, even if it was after the fact (maybe we'll get it right next time).
Take a look at that cone-head.
Grant Cory Walker
May 24, 2013
7lbs. 10 oz. 20 inches
Christian came the next morning to meet his baby brother...
He couldn't get enough of him...
And I couldn't get enough of them...
It may have been one of the sweetest moments of my life. Brothers meeting for the first time.
By the end of two days at the hospital, I was so ready to get home and start life with my two boys. They couldn't have wheeled me out of there fast enough...however we had a few hang ups, which included (but were not limited to...)
Exhausted Christian = total nightmare
Arms totally full (with baby, bags, flowers, gifts, etc.)
Christian dropping one of the flower arrangements on the floor
Nurse running over Christian's foot with wheelchair
Christian crying, wanting to be held
Did I mention arms totally full?
Stopping to rearrange all our junk so Christian could be held
Not enough room in our car for the junk + two carseats
Mark driving away with second flower arrangement on roof of car
I think it took 45 minutes for our traveling circus to get out of the hospital. But it was all worth it to have these two sleeping boys in our backseat when we got home.
We are so grateful to welcome Grant into our family. He is affectionately known around here as G, GG, or Baby G. He is a good-natured, handsome little man, who is so incredibly loved by his big brother, and his parents. He is already such a blessing in our home. He brings each of us so much happiness. We love you G!



















3 comments:
I could not stop laughing reading your sequence of events trying to get out of the hospital!! I'm glad everything went good and you didn't have to do a C-section again. Hopefully recovery went a lot faster!
We love baby Grant. Welcome to the family. Christian is such an adorable Big Brother too.
So happy for you! Glad everything turned out great. He's adorable!
Post a Comment