May 8, 2013

Becoming Big Brother

May is here! Which means that the days counting down to Baby Walker #2 are getting fewer and fewer. We've been anxiously getting things ready for the baby's arrival: I've officially entered the nesting phase, organizing every cabinet, cupboard, and closet; I've spent a lot of time thinking about and looking for the perfect name, which is harder this time, considering that brothers have to have names that sound good together; I've also been doing my homework on how this baby will actually come, since Christian was born via C-section. There is so much to think about, and on top of all of it, we have a two-year old thrown into the whirlwind who needs some preparation for this life-altering event himself.
We have been talking with Christian about a new baby, a little brother, for a long time now. And while he will not officially have a sibling for a couple more weeks, becoming a big brother has been months in the making. Becoming a big brother means...
There will be two instead of one
Becoming a big brother means monthly (now weekly) doctors appointments. Christian has grown to love these appointments, mostly for the slide and the train that goes around the office, but also to hear the baby's heart. I have loved taking him with me because it's the only way I can actually prove to him that there is really a baby in this growing belly. I think in a very small way he has understood. It is one of my favorite things to hear him say "I hear baby's hawt" and then make the swooshing sound that to him represents his baby brother. He is also a very concerned big brother, as he uses anything that resembles doctor equipment to check my belly button on a daily basis.
Becoming a big brother means helping mom unpack and organize all of the baby stuff. Christian has enjoyed reliving his baby days as he has tested and tried all of the baby gear. I think he approves.
Becoming a big brother means watching mom's belly grow, and then using that belly as a pillow, a wrestling mat, and a jungle gym. He just occasionally needs a reminder that the baby is in there, and then he is very gentle, giving hugs and kisses instead.
 
Becoming a big brother means handing down your territory (aka the crib). Christian was such a good helper, taking down and putting the crib back up in a new room. He loved helping dad with the tools.
Becoming a big brother means finding the perfect big boy bed, and then piecing it together. It also means sharing a room. I can't decide whether this will be a blessing or a curse...I guess we'll find out!
Becoming a big brother means actually sleeping in a big boy bed. We are so lucky that Christian has had such an easy transition with this. He has been so excited about his big boy bed and has done a pretty darn good job staying in it.
Mark and I have also spent our fair share of time in the big boy bed, whether it's laying by Christian to tell him a story before he falls asleep, or in the middle of the night when "mama, daddy, lay by me" gets too hard to resist.  But overall, he has been a champ in his new bed. We are so proud of him, and can't help but feel so blessed when we go in to check on him every night. He always looks so big and so angelic.
Clearly, becoming a big brother has meant a lot of hard work, and a lot of change already. I often feel guilty, even sad at the thought of shaking his little world so much. Life has been so comfortable and stable for us, and soon things will be very different. But, I have found comfort in knowing that the best thing we can do for Christian is to give him a sibling; a built-in best friend, a brother. I have to remind myself that having a brother, and being a brother will do something for Christian, that Mark and I never could. So while I still have my small moments of worry, I am so excited for Christian to become a big brother. I know he will be the best.

No comments: