November 21, 2013

POOPED

 Potty training is hard. In fact, aside from Christian's first few weeks of life (when I had no idea what I was doing as a mother), I would say that potty training may be one of the hardest things I have ever done. And part of what made it so hard, is that I never imagined it would be so hard!
I know that I am 100% biased, but I think Christian is a pretty smart guy. He catches on fairly quickly to the things we try to teach him, and extremely quick to the things we wish he wouldn't (I'm talking like embarrassing things we do or say). So, I just assumed that we'd have potty training down in a day or two...maybe three. You know, cause everyone says they potty trained their kid in three days...(I think they're lying).
I'm not giving Christian enough credit however, because really, he had things down pretty solid about two weeks after starting, but to his mama, who cleaned up several accidents, and was so invested in his success, it felt much longer than that.
Because I didn't imagine this task would be so difficult, I decided on a Tuesday morning, in the shower, "I think I'm going to potty train Christian today!" As I thought over my week, I realized that I didn't have anywhere to be for the next few days  (which never happens) so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to start on some potty progress.  I was totally gung-ho, but my last-minute decision meant that I began the potty training process with nothing. Totally unprepared.
(Hence the chair cushion covered in garbage bags...)
I thought I was so brilliant. Christian was THRILLED about his "Special Seat" and my hospital mug filled with water. I let him watch his favorite shows and we planned to spend the day right in that very spot. I would take him to the bathroom every 15 minutes and he'd be potty trained in no time. I was faithful about taking him to the bathroom the ENTIRE day, he however, was not so faithful to his special seat. The specialness wore off quickly, and our carpet took a good beating. By the end of the day I was sure I had ruined Christian, starting so unprepared.
After a LONG first day of potty training, and a good nights rest, I decided that I couldn't do this alone. I took some time to actually read about how to potty train and I made an early morning trip to Wal-Mart before Mark left for school to purchase all of the necessary supplies. I was determined that day two would be much more successful, and much less exhausting.
Day two was spent entirely in the bathroom. I confined Christian, Grant, and myself to the small space, blocking all exits. We were going to have a "Potty Party!" I moved all of Christian's favorite toys and books into the bathroom with us and we stuck close to the toilet.
This time I was prepared for anything.
 
We also spent a lot of the day watching "Daniel Tiger Goes Potty". I'd like to take all of the credit for potty training Christian, but I must give credit where credit is due... Daniel tiger, along with those dipper cracker and cheese packages potty trained my son.
By the end of day two, things were going pretty well.
After a few days of running around diaperless, Christian got to wear his big boy underwear. Ironically he chose his pirate pair (ARRR! Protect the booty!)
For the next few days I felt like I was on a roller coaster. Just when we would think it was clicking, there would be another accident. It was emotionally draining being happy and excited about the bathroom ALL the time.  I felt like I had tried everything. I tried being very positive about going potty, I tried talking about the potty all the time, I tried not talking about it at all, I tried time-out for accidents, I tried bribing him with Halloween candy, I tried bribing him with toys and movies, I tried a potty chart, a potty chair, I tried putting him in diapers when he had to go, I tried no diapers at all, I tried telling him that Santa was watching. One day he had an accident all the way down his legs and into his socks and shoes. I cried all the way home, trying to guilt him into potty training. I was desperate. Once again, I was sure I had ruined him. He was not ready.
Totally pooped.
Luckily, Christian and I both have supportive people in our lives that encouraged us to not give up. Mark's patience made up for my lack thereof. Looking back now, I have to laugh at myself for being so worried about it. There was no end in sight, and I was sure I would be potty training forever.
Today, we are in the maintenance phase of potty training. We have learned to trust each other, and recognize that we are on the same team. Together, we are kicking potty training's booty! I am SO proud. Of both of us.

No comments: