June 30, 2014

Our Boston Summer: Week 4

Wow! Week four means that we are a third of the way finished with our Boston summer and I can hardly believe it! This last week I have been reflecting on preparing to actually get here, and how I couldn't imagine it happening for real, and now, here we are, Living in Massachusetts, and already a month into it. It's so crazy!
We've had a lot of fun this week with new finds, new friends, and new food. We started the week at Rye beach in New Hampshire with cousins. I'm sure all kids love the beach, but because it's still so new to us to have it so close, I always love watching my kids enjoy it.
 Aside from sand in every crack and crevice (which I can't stand), I also love the beach because there's not much trouble the kids can cause. They are able to be pretty free without me nagging them all the time, and we all love that! I'm pretty convinced that Christian's heaven is the beach.
 In true boy fashion, these guys found a neat structure built of sticks and things washed up on the beach. They loved exploring it, and Christian reminded me of a contestant on Survivor.
 On the way home from the beach, our hour and a half drive turned into a two and a half hour drive because of traffic. It was brutal. We were super late to pick up Mark, late for dinner, and tired and sandy. Fortunately for me, the kids were surprisingly patience, and aside from a few moans and groans, we made it in pretty good spirits.
But, due to the scarring event that was, we had to take the next couple days to recover, so we spent a lot of time in our hotel room.
 It's been quite the adventure making our own fun in this tiny space, but with two creative boys, we've somehow been able to manage! I'm always impressed with the things they come up with and the household/hotel items that quickly become favorite play things.
 And never underestimate the power of a single red balloon... Entertainment for days!

 (PBS Kids has also been a lifesaver)
 On Friday, after our recovery period, we took the boys to the Children's Museum in Boston! It is incredible. There was so much to do and see, and due to the fact that it's only $1 on Friday nights, it was also packed. But as evident in these photos, we all had a great time:
Observing turtles
Racing golf balls
 Popping bubbles
 Creating art
 Finding fish
 Climbing rocks
 Walking with Arthur
 Watching a show
Eating dinner
Building
And so much more!
 We played at the museum until we were kicked out at closing time. The view outside of the museum was unbelievable at night, with the city lights reflecting on the water, and I was so glad we had stayed until dark to enjoy it.
 On Saturday, we had a BBQ with some new friends we have made in our ward, (The Glenns). We had a great time, and the kids loved playing in their fun, big yard. It's amazing how much better I feel about this place after making a few friends.
If we thought we were getting off the hook in church for three months, we were dead wrong. On our second week in the ward, we were asked to give prayers in sacrament meeting, Mark was asked to speak in church, and I was asked to give a relief society lesson. In all reality, we are grateful for the opportunity to serve. Mark did an excellent job on his talk yesterday. Even after five years, I'm still amazed every time he goes up to give a talk with nothing but his scriptures!
During the last hour of church, Mark and I were having an extremely difficult time staying focused, mostly because Grant is in that hard stage before nursery.... but we definitely found a way to pass the time. We're so bad, but sometimes you get desperate.
(Fruit Loop Face)
(Low Rider)
(Gypsy G)
I'm always a little bitter when it takes forever to get anywhere around here, but one of our favorite drives is to and from church. Even though it's not a thirty second trip, like it is in Utah, it's so beautiful, and worth the extra driving time.
Well, we had a great week, and are excited for this week and the 4th of July here in Boston (not to mention the four day work week for Mark)! I can't think of a better place to celebrate our independence! We can't wait!

No comments: