August 11, 2014

Our Boston Summer: Week 10

We're in double digits!! I. cannot. believe. it. I'm having a panic attack that we aren't going to get everything in that we've wanted to! But we sure are trying!
While we've been waiting for Mark to explore with us on the weekends, popsicles have become a popular pass-time.
I had the neat opportunity this week to go with the sister missionaries to teach a lesson to a man named Roy, from the Dominican Republic. I was beyond excited. I'm sure there are opportunities to do things like this in Utah, but right now we are living smack dab in the middle of the mission field and the opportunities are just so obvious, and available. Roy only had his mom growing up, and so she was the one that was concerned with his spiritual affairs. So in his mind, she was the priesthood holder in their home. I was glad to be able to explain to him that although I do not hold the priesthood, I have unique powers and responsibilities as a wife and mother that are equivalent. And that I have a right to revelation and inspiration for my family as long as I live worthily to receive it.
I don't know if anything that I said had any impact on Roy, but it did on me. It reminded me of the testimony I have, and the happiness the gospel brings to me. I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to go with the sisters. Not to mention, they are such amazing ladies!
 
We had a really fun Friday night exploring the North End of Boston. We've been told several times that it's a must and we were not disappointed. Mark had done his research on the best places to eat in the North End (that is what it's known for after all), so we decided to try Regina Pizzeria. When we pulled up to the restaurant, the line was out the door. It was an obvious sign that the place was good, but I wasn't too excited about waiting in line with three hungry boys. 
So, in hopes that the line would die down, we walked over to the Old North Church to take a quick look before it closed. And I'm so glad we did! It was so neat, and definitely something to check off our bucket list.
I'm seriously considering suggesting these pews to the First Presidency for our churches... Just image how much easier Sacrament Meeting would be if the kids were contained in one of these babies. Genius.
Unfortunately, when we got back to Regina's, the line was longer than before. But we took it as a sign that we just had to experience it, and found our way to the back. We were lucky enough to be in front of a nice man with his girlfriend, and twin granddaughters. The girls were so nice to Christian and Grant, and Mark and I enjoyed talking with all of them about Boston. They had some really great suggestions of things to do and see and the conversation made the time go quickly.
Finally we were in, and it was definitely worth the wait! The atmosphere was the epitome of Boston to me. It was a tiny place, it was loud and the waiters were yelling to each other in there thick Boston accents. Our waitress was a big, loud, woman who scared Christian enough that he was a perfect angel for dinner. It was so funny every time she would come to our table.  Plus, the pizza was delicious. 
As we were winding down, our waitress came over to inform us that the man we had been talking to outside had picked up our check. I couldn't even believe it, and I could barely hold back the tears. I cannot get over just how good people are. We've experienced it so many times here, selfless people who have given us so much. It hurts my heart a little bit that I will never be able to thank these people enough or express to them just how much such kind gestures mean to our little family, but it is a good reminder to always pay it forward. On our way out, Mark shook the man's hand and thanked him. He just said we had a wonderful family, and welcomed us to the city. He will never know the impact he had on us.
We checked another item off our bucket list that night with a cannoli from Mike's Pastry. While the experience was definitely a necessity in Boston, those cannolis sure are overrated.
 I was not impressed, but Grant seemed to be. Then again, he's pretty easy to impress when it comes to food.
 We spent the rest of the night wandering the street fair that was going on, and even got to check out the fire trucks at the station nearby.
On Saturday, we drove to Rhode Island to go to the Newport Mansions. This year I was so sad that I had to miss the Parade of Homes in Utah. It's one of my favorite summer activities. But these mansions definitely held me over until next year...
 The homes were enormous, with gorgeous views, and unbelievable interiors. (Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pictures inside.)
 It took us the entire day to go through three mansions. Mark and I made a great team taking turns; one listening to the audio tour and informing the other, the other chasing the kids around. I was actually pleasantly surprised that one of the homes had an audio tour for kids. I was also shocked at how well Christian responded to it. He walked around for a good long time with those headphones on, listening to stories about the children who had lived there.
 Christian also loved the stone animals.
At last, our lucky streak ran out, and our boys were finished being patient about being dragged around the mansions. So, on our attempt at a fourth house, we left the tour, and ended up playing outside underneath a gigantic weeping willow (which seemed to make up for what we had put them through that day).
 We had such a fun weekend. I always feel like it takes me several days to recover from one weekend, and prepare for another. So, we spent Sunday evening, being silly and doing what the boys wanted to do... of course that was wearing diapers over their pajamas.

No comments: