August 18, 2014

Our Boston Summer: Week 11

Well, this week started off with a bang! The family we are staying with has been out of town for a month visiting family in Utah, so I've been in and out of their house doing laundry and checking on things. On Monday I went in to switch some laundry and heard an alarm going off in their basement. Very timidly, I went to check on it (I won't lie, I was pretty sure someone was going to jump out and attack me). Unfortunately, I went downstairs to rooms filled with water. A flood. Perfect. I couldn't figure out where the water was coming from, so while Mark was on his way home to help (missing an interview) the fire department came to try to turn off the water (a little extreme, I know, but the boys got to see the firetruck and try on their hats), as well as friends to help us out. We are so lucky to have made such good friends here who I knew I could count on. In the meantime, I called my parents in Utah for some moral support.  We got everything figured out, but Mark and I spent most of the night, and actually most of the week getting that water cleaned up and moving fans around before the Wingates came home. It was definitely a lot of work, but I'm so glad we caught it when we did! 
Because I was paranoid about a reoccurring flood, or a mold infestation, we stayed pretty close to home for the week. But on Thursday, we met up with my cousins to do some blueberry picking. This has really been one of my favorite activities while we've been in New England - picking our own food. The boys think it is the neatest thing, and I enjoy the story-book like atmosphere (not to mention the animals). The fields are beautiful and it's just so east coast to me. I love it.
On Saturday we went in to Boston to see our last few sights. Since this was our last real week here, we packed it in. We rode the trolley around the city to visit as many places as we could. We started with a harbor cruise that showed us a fun view of the city from the water.
 We loved being on the boat to eat our lunch and enjoy the breeze.
 The harbor cruise took us to the Charles Navy Yard where we visited the USS Constitution Museum. The boys loved all of the hands-on activities.
 But they are pretty done with pictures... I guess I don't blame them after 12 weeks of "Look at the camera! Smile!" Looking back, I actually feel a little bad that I made them do that so much.
 This pretend goat would "Baaaaa" every so often, and Christian was terrified of it. He kept asking if it was real and wouldn't even come close enough to pull it across the line. But our fearless Granty stepped right up!
 It was so interesting to learn a little bit about the life of a sailor; what they ate, wore, and where they slept.
 What handsome sailors I have!
 After the USS Constitution, we rode the Trolley over to the Old State House and the Old South Meeting House.
We were able to keep Christian entertained in those buildings for a little while by playing "I Spy", but after that wore off, we headed over to Quincy Market to check out the unimaginable about of deliciousness, and the street performers.
 Christian also did a little street performing of his own. It's just too bad we didn't have a bucket out there to collect tips!
 To finish the day, we headed over to our favorite place, Boston Common to see the ducks, and of course, play on the playground. We had to bribe Christian the entire day with these things to get him through all the rest of the sightseeing. But first, a quick shot at "Cheers" across the street.
I think this last weekend pretty much finished up our bucket list! This will officially be the last time I blog from Massachusetts! We have one week left here and will be flying home this coming Sunday. I can't even believe it. The time has flown by! I can still remember so well preparing to come here and the nerves and excitement we felt. I honestly never thought I could do it... move away....so far away and be happy away from family. But I have done so much growing here. I have learned so much about myself and about my little family. Mark and I have grown so much together and overall it has been an experience we will never forget and one we will look back on with the fondest memories. If you would have asked me at the beginning of this if I would be sad to leave, my answer would have been a firm no, but now as we prepare to leave the friends we've made, the places we've grown to love, and the lessons learned... I'm feeling very nostalgic. My heart hurts a little knowing this unique experience is coming to a close. 
And just as we are feeling sad about leaving, we are feeling thrilled to be going home. To our own home. To be back into a routine and to be doing the things we have missed. It will be so good to be back and to be with friends and family. We can't wait.

No comments: