August 4, 2014

Our Boston Summer: Week 9

After a long family drought, we could not even wait for our families to get here! It didn't matter that they were coming so close together. We figured why not make it one HUGE party! and party it was. Mark's parents left on Monday morning, and on Tuesday morning, my whole family (minus Tom) arrived!!
I know I'm being dramatic, but a month and a half away from my family might as well have been eternity. I was a giddy school girl all morning waiting for that big huge van to pull up, and when it did, I couldn't contain my excitement.
It was so good to be together again! And the boys loved seeing everyone, especially their new cousin Carter! That baby was a good sport as he was hugged, and kissed, and tugged, and pulled. Grant may have even shown his excitement with a good smack or two. We were just so happy.
Once we'd said our hello's and had lunch, we were on our way to the hotel where my family was staying to help them get settled in. And we all helped...
Just so excited to get them here. 
We spent the evening at Kimball farm and it was seriously so much fun. The boys and I were living in a dream that everyone was finally here with us. We'd visited Kimball farm before, but can I just say how much more awesome it is with our very favorite people?!
 
 
 As always, the animals were a hit for both of my boys.
 And another hit? The golf balls. Jordan is the golfer in our family, so he showed us his skills on the driving range, and was nice enough to share a few (probably most) of his golf balls with the boys.
After work, Mark met up with us for even more "hitting"... Bumper Boats!!
I think it's safe to say the boats were all of our favorite at Kimball Farm. Such a blast!
Wednesday was reserved for one of our favorite places, Lake Winnipesaukee. My uncle Ken took us out on his boat and we spent the day water skiing, soaking up the sun, and swimming in the freezing water. It was a little piece of heaven... after we got Grant to forget about his life jacket.
 
I don't get the chance to water ski very often, but when I do, I make sure to take it... Just to prove to myself that I can still do it. It's always questionable for a minute there.
Christian liked watching everyone water ski, but he was always very concerned about it.  Whenever anyone would fall he'd always be the first to ask about their condition. He was so sweet, and I couldn't help but smile at his sensitivity, because I share the same anxiety. Unfortunately for both of us, it never goes away, and just gets worse when you have kids.
And then there was Grant, who didn't have a care, or fear in the world. Most of my day was spent making sure he didn't walk right off the boat.

 Thankfully everyone stayed safe, but it was definitely a group effort.
One of the best parts about having my family here, was that they visited for an entire week! After two fun days already, we still had 5 more days to enjoy them. On Thursday, We went to Salem, where we visited the Salem Witch Museum. It was all fun and games at first...
But I think the picture below sums up our experience best. The bad mom award goes to me, for taking my three year old into that museum. He kept his eyes covered for most of the presentation and said, "I don't like this" probably eight times. It freaked him out pretty good. I thought it was interesting. 
Luckily, we were able to redeem ourselves by walking down to the ship by the water, where the boys could run around and play to get all the heebie jeebies out. It was me who was scared this time, for fear that my babies would fall into the ocean.
On Friday, before heading to Boston Common (where the boys were so excited to show everyone the duck pond and playground), we walked around Harvard. As always, Christian ran around chasing birds and squirrels which could have kept him entertained all day. 
One of the things I have wanted to take the boys to do is ride the Swan Boats in the Public Garden 
(because of our new favorite book, Make Way for Ducklings), so I was really excited to be able to do that with my family. 
Of course, once on the boat, realizing that he was contained, Grant screamed for the entire ride. Instead of my dream come true, it quickly turned into my worst nightmare and I couldn't even look at the people who were stuck on the boat with us because I was so embarrassed. I may or may not have cried after getting off. I guess it's something we'll always remember, just not in the way that I'd hoped!
I'm sure that I wasn't the only one that welcomed the sight of a huge green field with a man blowing millions of bubbles so that the boys could run around after the Swan Boat ride from hell.
And we finally made it to the duck pond so that the boys could splash away all their energy. We're pretty lucky my parents and siblings are patient, and didn't mind coming to Boston to sit on a bench. 
That night, the boys (and Emily) went to the Red Sox/Yankees game, while my mom, Rebekah, and I made the treck back to the car on the subway with 3 kids, 2 strollers, and a bazillion other people. Needless to say we were pretty proud of ourselves when we got in the van and it started to rain as we pulled away.
Mark had so much fun at the game, being with the guys (and Emily) eating Fenway Franks, and watching the Red Sox beat the Yankees! I know he also loved talking business with Jordan (I'm including that here so we can remember where it all began when GoPro Weddings goes big!)
The boys (and Emily...still a little bitter that she got to go...just kidding!) got back to the hotel late, and after our crazy night (you know, Chili's and the Bachelorette), we were all pretty exhausted, so we took it easy the next morning, and spent some time lounging at the pool.
Then we went to the MIT Museum. They had so many neat things to see and do. Some of our favorites were building our own tower and the robots. 
That evening, everyone had different things they wanted to do, so we split up for a little while, and my dad took Mark and me, and the boys to LEGOLAND! It's new to Massachusetts and it was definitely a highlight for the kids. 
 Ok, let's be honest, it was a highlight for me too. I thought it was the coolest thing ever to see the city of Boston built of legos!
Not to mention how much I loved watching the boys in Lego heaven. I could have watched them for hours as they built their creations with an unlimited supply of legos.
 Grandpa even braved the rides, and Christian was thrilled.
As if the boys (and Emily) hadn't had enough of Fenway Park, we went on a tour the next day. I was glad to go again too because this tour was different than my first, and I learned even more. I was also glad Mark got the chance to experience it because it gave so much more history than just going to a game.
Monday was our last day together and remember how I was so glad my family was here for a whole week? Well it wasn't long enough. We did have fun on a Duck Tour, but the goodbyes came way too soon.
We seriously had the best time with my family here. I am so grateful to have such amazing people in our lives who have loved and supported us through this whole process. I honestly don't think we would be here enjoying it with them had they not been cheering us on along way. Thank you Dad and Mom for making it possible for everyone to be together. We love you all SO much!

No comments: