August 25, 2014

Our Boston Summer: Week 12

If there is one thing I know about myself, it is that I do not like goodbyes. Unfortunately for us, our last week in Massachusetts was full of them. But as I look back over the week, it really wasn't unfortunate... The fact that we had so many difficult goodbyes is a testament to the number and quality of friends we made on our 12 week adventure. We are so incredibly blessed to have spent our time with some of the most wonderful people I have ever known. 
One of the things we will miss most about Massachusetts is the many cousins that were C and G's ages. There was always someone to play with, and my boys loved getting to know new cousins.  As one of our last outings we went to Walden Pond. The kids loved playing in the sand and water, and I loved visiting with my cousins.
Of course we couldn't leave without our last few play dates with some of our favorite friends! We loved spending time with the Glenn girls, who have been so good to us.
We were scheduled to leave the Wingates' house on Saturday, so we were cutting it pretty close when we finished our final bucket list item on Friday night. As the week wore on, I was thinking we probably weren't going to make it to the Boston temple, but with the help of a couple of willing cousins (Thanks Abby and Tyler!), we were able to leave the boys and make a quick trip.
Looking back, I can't imagine never having gone to the Boston Temple. I obviously wouldn't have known what I was missing, but seriously, going to the temple as our culminating experience was indescribably perfect. It was the only place to sum everything up. It was wonderful, and beautiful. It allowed me to reflect on the immense blessings of the last 12 weeks and the strengthening of my testimony. My heart was so full of gratitude for a Heavenly Father that had led our family to such a life-changing opportunity. A Heavenly Father who had provided an atmosphere for growth, and love, and discovery of self and family.
And aside from all of those blessings, we ended up in the same session as David and Martha Wingate. Some of the most Christ-like people I have ever met, and again, I was reminded of the many people Heavenly Father has put in our path that have changed our lives, and changed our perspective.
I can honestly say that Massachusetts was one of the best things to happen to our family. I am thankful to have recognized that at the temple. 
On Saturday, things started getting real. After a lot of phone calls, worry, and much more money that we'd anticipated, we loaded our car onto a truck, and hoped and prayed that we would see it again in Utah.
Saturday, we said our goodbyes to the Wingate family, and before we left we knelt down with them for family prayer. It was beautiful, and once again, the perfect way for things to come to a close with the wonderful family who had taken us in and taught us so much. I went ahead and sobbed through the whole prayer, but they were thankful tears.
Our flight was scheduled to leave at 5:50, the next morning, so we decided to stay in a hotel and take a shuttle to the airport as a convenience for everyone involved. That night, we got our kids bathed and into bed, and as soon as I laid my head on my pillow,  I heard a man screaming. It would happen every so often and I decided it must have to be a handicapped person. Once I had finally dozed off, I heard banging on the door next to us... it was the front desk and they had had complaints about the noise. There was a little bit of a (loud) argument, and then the police were going to be called. We later recognized that the man must have been pretty high... Needless to say, I was scared out of my mind, and didn't sleep a wink that entire night. Then we woke up at 3 am to get ready to go. Talk about a long night!
Between naps, snacks, and Daniel Tiger, our flight went really smoothly. It was definitely a long one, but the boys were good, so it made for a pretty relaxing few hours after a crazy night.
Everything was so surreal as we drove home. We were welcomed back by two huge signs on our house (no hiding we were back!) I can't even describe the feeling I felt walking into my own home again. I honestly had not really even thought about our house for three months, so when I walked through it for the first time, I couldn't help but LOVE everything about it! Seriously, I was so in love, and so happy. Just another reminder of our incredible blessings.
Now, it's back to real life. We lived the dream this summer and wouldn't change a thing. We are excited to get back into the swing of things and really put into practice the lessons we learned and the love we felt in Massachusetts.

1 comment:

Hafendad said...

We love that you are home! You were missed!