May 14, 2012

Mother's Day

I have been a daughter to the most wonderful mother for 23 years. I have been a daughter-in-law to the best mother-in-law for almost 3 years. I have been a mother to the most beautiful baby for one year, and fifteen days. I have been blessed.
There is something about the experience of motherhood that makes me appreciate my own mom more than she will ever understand. I appreciate her for her love, support, and sacrifice. I love her for teaching me the things only a mother can teach, and for raising me in a home where I felt safe, secure, and confident. She is my best friend. Any of the success I have as a mother now, I owe to her taking the time to teach me what motherhood, and womanhood is all about.
I am also grateful to have a day to celebrate Mark's mom, my mother-in-law. Like, my own mother, Mark's mom has taught him, cared for him, and loved him as he has grown. I know that much of what I love about Mark, I owe to his mother. She has given him a confidence, and a direction. She has had high expectations for him that have pushed him, and shaped him into a strong and determined man. She raised the smart, handsome, and respectful man that I fell in love with. I am grateful to her for being such a diligent mother - her hard work is now blessing my little family.
How truly blessed I am to have these women to look to as I find my way in this world of motherhood. I feel thankful for their examples, their continual encouragement, and their unconditional love. Now, that I am a mother, I think I am really starting to understand and appreciate the love and concern they have for their children.
I loved Mother's day this year. It wasn't because Mark got up early with Christian so I could sleep in. It wasn't because I got lots of texts from friends and family. And it wasn't because I got some really awesome gifts. Of course, I did LOVE all of those things, but the reason I loved Mother's day this year is because I am the mother of this guy...
So lucky right? As I sat in church on Mother's Day and watched my little boy, I was overwhelmed with gratitude. I felt pure joy, and sincere humility as I was remind that I have been trusted with one of Heavenly Father's sweet spirits. I have developed a love for him that I never knew existed. A love that is powerful beyond anything I could have imagined.
 I'm so glad to be Christian's mom.
Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: