May 6, 2012

Time Flies

 This last week we took Christian to his one year doctor's appointment. Besides the shots, I LOVE going to these appointments. There's something about seeing Christian's progress that makes me really excited. I can't wait to see how much he weighs, and how tall he is, and which percentile he's in. It's one of the simple joys of motherhood for me.
Knowing that we had this appointment this week, I was reminded of a year ago, when I sat in my own doctor's appointment, two days overdue, waiting for little Christian to come. I was nervous, and excited. The doctor came in and told us that he had scheduled us for a non-stress test. He said the test may mean I could go home and just keep waiting, but that they would probably find some reason to keep me in the hospital and start my labor.
We had about an hour before the test, so Mark and I flew home and I jumped in the shower to get ready. As Mark was frantically running around the house trying to get a bag ready, I'm sure he was wondering why, even at two days overdue, we still weren't packed for the hospital (good question).
Finally, we arrived at the hospital and I was taken in for the non-stress test. As the test progressed, things were looking good, and just as the nurse was about to send us home, she noticed something on the monitor. She told us she would be back with a second opinion. And back she came, but this time, with a hospital gown and a wheel chair. "You're going to have a baby today" she said and I was quickly changed and on my way.
 In our hospital room, Mark and I sat together, waiting. Nurses and doctors were in and out, continually checking the monitor and talking with each other more stern than before, in terms I didn't understand. I was starting to feel a little anxious. The doctor came in, and maybe seeing the panic on my face, decided to inform us that Christian's heart rate was dropping significantly and it was best that we went immediately for a C-Section.
All of a sudden the room was a whirl-wind. There were people rushing in and out, preparing all kinds of tools, and dressing in full body suits. Even Mark, was changing, and there I sat, alone, and terrified. Mark and I had attended a pre-natal class a few months before and thought we were experts on labor and delivery, however, I had totally tuned out during the C-Section part, because that would never happen to me...now I was sincerely regretting that.
A nice nurse noticed my terror, which might have been given away by the tears streaming down my face. She talked me through what would happen, and before we knew it we were in the operating room. I don't remember much of what happened in there, but I do remember hearing and seeing Christian for the first time. Strapped there on the operating table, all I could do was cry. But this time, they were tears of pure joy.
Now, a year has flown by, and although Christian isn't 7 lbs. 5 oz. and 19.5 inches anymore, he still brings me the same pure joy.
 One Year Old
Weight: 20 lbs. 3 oz. (15th percentile)
Height: 31 inches (80th percentile)

No comments: